I couldn't sleep on the plane flights, so I put a list together of my favorite parts of the trip ... David you can update it if you disagree with anything.
David's responses are below each of Greg's.
Best overall food: Guatemala. Mostly because of Rosa's cooking, but even the rest stops and restaurants we went to were good, especially in Lake Atitlan.
Best beer: Salva Vida in Honduras. Outside of the great name, meaning "lifesaver", it tasted exactly like Bass. Wasn't too light and wasn't too dark. The "Mixto" beer that the Samoyas gave us in Guatemala City gets an honorable mention.
Best overall food: Guatemala. Mostly because of Rosa's cooking, but even the rest stops and restaurants we went to were good, especially in Lake Atitlan.
Rosa's cooking was delicious, but I'll go with the best street food because homecooked panamanian food was also delicious. So... street tacos in mexico. By the way, the hottest salsa Chipotle has to offer would be a mild down south.
Best individual food: Guineo Chino. One of the families in Loma Bonita gave this to me. It was a super sweet banana desert. I'm not sure why "chino" is in the name, but it was so good. I ate a lot of banana products on the trip, but this was the only place where I could find this desert!
Best individual food: Guineo Chino. One of the families in Loma Bonita gave this to me. It was a super sweet banana desert. I'm not sure why "chino" is in the name, but it was so good. I ate a lot of banana products on the trip, but this was the only place where I could find this desert!
I guess I already answered that one. I've got to point out though that Nicaragua has the best 'on-the-bus' food sales. Panama just sold doritos, banana chips and drinks. Nicaragua buses sold plates of yucca, chicharron (delicious fried pork skin), Quesillo which was a rolled tortilla with a stick of cheese cream and onions mmm and more.
Craziest thing to eat: Pig brain and coagulated pig blood in Guatemala. Served as appetizers, but neither were good. Also, we ate armadillo, also in Guatemala; that crazy place!
Craziest thing to eat: Pig brain and coagulated pig blood in Guatemala. Served as appetizers, but neither were good. Also, we ate armadillo, also in Guatemala; that crazy place!
Agree with Greg.. except I liked the brain, the congealed blood was a little weird. The Iguana I had a few near years ago tops it all though, and was very good.
Worst individual food: Ceviche. I don't know why I ordered it because I don't like sea food, but it was octopus in lime juice. Plus, I spilled it on a Panamanian woman while throwing it away, so that was almost dicey.
Worst individual food: Ceviche. I don't know why I ordered it because I don't like sea food, but it was octopus in lime juice. Plus, I spilled it on a Panamanian woman while throwing it away, so that was almost dicey.
The white chalky flaky cheese that latinos love so much.
Best money: Costa Rica Colone. It had sharks on one of its bills, so it automatically wins.
Best money: Costa Rica Colone. It had sharks on one of its bills, so it automatically wins.
Panama. No losses on conversion and a much smaller ATM fee ;).
Nicest people: Nicaragua. The poorest country, but everyone was willing to help and was excited to talk to us. Mercedes and her husband were great hosts in Leon. The people in Loma Bonita were also extremely nice to me, even though my Spanish then was far worse than it is now.
Nicest people: Nicaragua. The poorest country, but everyone was willing to help and was excited to talk to us. Mercedes and her husband were great hosts in Leon. The people in Loma Bonita were also extremely nice to me, even though my Spanish then was far worse than it is now.
Loma Boniteños, of course.
Best music: Panama. The country that brought us El Choque and it loves Reggaeton.
Best music: Panama. The country that brought us El Choque and it loves Reggaeton.
No question Panama. Most of the buses in the other countries didn't even play much music. Unfortunate especially b/c I lost my ipod on.. day 3?
Best set of ruins: Teotihuacan. Tikal was amazing since it was deep in the jungle, but these ruins were so massive and I could not get over the view of the walkway they called "Avenida de la muerte".
Best set of ruins: Teotihuacan. Tikal was amazing since it was deep in the jungle, but these ruins were so massive and I could not get over the view of the walkway they called "Avenida de la muerte".
I liked Tikal the best. They were so tall, it was really cool to see the tips above the jungle (even though the Mayans had cleared out the forest). The entire area is flat, but when walking around it looks as if there were hills all around. They are all ruins that have been grown over! They say only 10-15% of the site has been uncovered.
Best sporting event: Futbol. Went to three games but soccer was the best. The fans were so into it that it made what is usually a boring sport exciting and seem pretty action-packed. I'm going to go to a game in America now, but I highly doubt it will compare to this.
Best sporting event: Futbol. Went to three games but soccer was the best. The fans were so into it that it made what is usually a boring sport exciting and seem pretty action-packed. I'm going to go to a game in America now, but I highly doubt it will compare to this.
I only went to the beisbol game, and enjoyed it but I'm sure futbol was a good time. What was the 3rd game? bullfighting? I'd prefer to just hang out in the ring and get chased up a fence by the bull (guararé guararé guararé) instead of watching someone kill it
Best nightlife: Honduras. We met some really fun people in San Pedro Sula who took us out unti like 6 a.m., Bajamar was a fun place the first time and Utila felt like college.
Best nightlife: Honduras. We met some really fun people in San Pedro Sula who took us out unti like 6 a.m., Bajamar was a fun place the first time and Utila felt like college.
Agreed. Mexico city is probably a cool place, too bad we picked an area called Zona Rosa.
Best big city: Mexico City. Had no idea a place so nice existed in Mexico. Their country unfairly gets a bad rap.
Best big city: Mexico City. Had no idea a place so nice existed in Mexico. Their country unfairly gets a bad rap.
Penonomé!
Best beer: Salva Vida in Honduras. Outside of the great name, meaning "lifesaver", it tasted exactly like Bass. Wasn't too light and wasn't too dark. The "Mixto" beer that the Samoyas gave us in Guatemala City gets an honorable mention.
Moza from Guatemala.. the only dark beer I found in the last 2.5 years. It was what they mixed with the lighter beer Gallo to make Mixto.
Worst beer: Everything in Nicaragua. They all tasted like nothing.
Worst beer: Everything in Nicaragua. They all tasted like nothing.
Yea I'll agree.
Best hotel: Mango Inn on Utila. Only place with hot water and the pool was great to cool off after walking about in ridiculous humidity.
Best hotel: Mango Inn on Utila. Only place with hot water and the pool was great to cool off after walking about in ridiculous humidity.
Rosa's house. Or the cabins at semuc-champey. In the middle of the jungle right on the river.
Best outdoors thing to do: Going through the caves, or "spelunking" in Semuc-Champay, Guatemala. Absolutely crazy and such a rush to cliff dive from deep inside a cave halfway filled with water. Worth missing a soccer game at a 100,000-person stadium in Mexico City.
Best outdoors thing to do: Going through the caves, or "spelunking" in Semuc-Champay, Guatemala. Absolutely crazy and such a rush to cliff dive from deep inside a cave halfway filled with water. Worth missing a soccer game at a 100,000-person stadium in Mexico City.
yep Semuc Champey. You would have regretted leaving the tour early and missing that cave for a soccer game you probably wouldn't have made anyways.. glad you eventually made it to one though
Coolest animal: Seeing and hearing howler monkeys in Tikal. They were so loud, sounded like lions. Also, there was a glow-in-the-dark caterpillar in Loma Bonita and we saw an owl eye-spotted butterfly in Costa Rica.
Howler monkeys. Just went to the zoo in DC and heard one "howl" through the glass. So many people were impressed and video-ing its sad and depressing 'let me out of here' whimper, when he should have sounded like a lion screaming "THIS IS MY TREE"
Best economic decision: Paying 60 Lempira ($3.50) for street meat in Utila. We bought grilled chicken and a bean-filled tortilla. Not only was it the best food on the island (which is way too touristy), but it was by far the cheapest.
Best economic decision: Paying 60 Lempira ($3.50) for street meat in Utila. We bought grilled chicken and a bean-filled tortilla. Not only was it the best food on the island (which is way too touristy), but it was by far the cheapest.
Folding my honduran customs paper so it fit into my passport. See below.
Worst economic decision: Paying 30 Pesos (just under $3) for pistachios at bullfighting in Mexico City. That was equal to what I paid in Mexico on a separate occasions for 3 tacos. I'd say paying a 3,200 Lempira fine in Honduras for my customs issue was much worse economically, but then again it wasn't really my "decision".
Worst economic decision: Paying 30 Pesos (just under $3) for pistachios at bullfighting in Mexico City. That was equal to what I paid in Mexico on a separate occasions for 3 tacos. I'd say paying a 3,200 Lempira fine in Honduras for my customs issue was much worse economically, but then again it wasn't really my "decision".
Only taking out 20 dollars worth of Lemps when the ATM fee totaled 7.50, oops.
Safest town: La Fortuna, Costa Rica. The little town near Volcano Arenal. It just seemed so comfortable to walk around the few blocks of the town. Like nothing bad could ever happen ... except the volcano exploding.
Safest town: La Fortuna, Costa Rica. The little town near Volcano Arenal. It just seemed so comfortable to walk around the few blocks of the town. Like nothing bad could ever happen ... except the volcano exploding.
Leon? Felt safe pretty much everywhere
Most dangerous town: San Pedro Sula, Guatemala. Nothing happened to us, but when you see a security guard at a restaurant holding a file, that is all you need to know. Guy was also drinking a beer, so I dont know how much protection he would have provided.
Most dangerous town: San Pedro Sula, Guatemala. Nothing happened to us, but when you see a security guard at a restaurant holding a file, that is all you need to know. Guy was also drinking a beer, so I dont know how much protection he would have provided.
Haha ya, based on what we read.. SPS would probably win this one. The guard definitely wouldn't protect us with his file ;). a rifle would be better
Craziest bus trip: They, really, all were, but from La Entrada to Copan Ruinas, Honduras. They fit more than 20 people in a shuttle that, truly, has space for 14. People were standing or sitting on one another. No way anyone would have survived had we crashed. Also it rained, so everything was wet and we had to make an emergency stop to prevent luggage from falling off the top of the van.
Craziest bus trip: They, really, all were, but from La Entrada to Copan Ruinas, Honduras. They fit more than 20 people in a shuttle that, truly, has space for 14. People were standing or sitting on one another. No way anyone would have survived had we crashed. Also it rained, so everything was wet and we had to make an emergency stop to prevent luggage from falling off the top of the van.
I wore those zip off quick dry pants on the way to Atitlan on a school bus. Every curve i went from the left side of the seat to the right.
Hardest cultural adjustment: Taking cold showers. Not even close.
Hardest cultural adjustment: Taking cold showers. Not even close.
Here, we'll go with an adjustment back to the states. 6 dollar beers! aah
No comments:
Post a Comment