Saturday, August 6, 2011

One back, one still left

So, David has returned to the US after more than 2 years living in Panama and a great month traveling in Central America. I was supposed to join him today, BUT because of schedule changes with the Mexican Premier Futbol League and the extra time we spent in Guatemala, I had yet to go to the soccer game that I desired. So I got a new ticket for Monday to be able to go to a Cruz Azul game today. Plus, I found out that there is bullfighting on Sunday, so I get to do that as well as a bonus. Definitely pumped for that as I´ve never seen anything like it.

The soccer game was great. It was the first professional soccer game I´ve ever been to, let alone it being my first soccer game in another country. The fans there put those in the US to shame. They chant and cheer all game, bang drums, wave flags. Even through halftime they were making noise. Nothing like in America, when we cheer only when something happens. Best I could compare it to is a college basketball environment, but these fans were even louder in an outdoor stadium than those in gyms.

Mexico City impressed both of us. My only experience with Mexico was the Tijuana-Ensenada strip and Cancun, so I really didn´t know what to think. But this place is nothing like those towns. First it is huge (there are more people here than in Canada), it is really clean, there are huge statues and monuments everywhere and the public transportation is great. We also went to the ruins of Teotihuacan, which were probably the best set of ruins we saw. These pyramids were huge and nearly the whole city is in tact; or you can at least see traces of it. It is amazing what these ancient people were able to do.

I managed one day without depending on David as a translator, so we´ll see how it goes on Day 2. Hope he has a safe flight back.

1 comment:

  1. I had a safe flight back, a busy day on sunday and am now waiting at the airport to fly to DC (a little over 24 hours after getting home). so tired..

    ReplyDelete