Friday, October 22, 2010

Cristo Negro

Since I'm feeling better, thought I'd take the opportunity to check out the Black Christ festival in Portobelo, Colón. Its a piece of culture that you're not going to find anywhere else. Portobelo in general is beautiful, with the Caribbean and the ruins of the forts.. but when you see all the people crawling hands and knees from who knows where, with hot wax being dripped on them.. it adds something.

Some people even marched from Panama City or further, starting as early as Monday to get there by Thursday. I'm not sure of the exact story of Black Christ, but the statue that well over 30 men carry in the procession is the same one that has always been used.. and the tradition hasn't changed. Pretty cool. I don't really know why everyone was getting a haircut.

http://www.yourpanama.com/black-christ.html











4 comments:

  1. For anyone interested about the history...

    http://www.yourpanama.com/black-christ.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha.. picking up the slack for David. Glad there is actually an explanation of what is going on

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man, thanks maria! i was like whaaat? i dont understand this cristo negro thing!!! lol

    Hope to see you soon dave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, we all know Maria's a way better blogger than I am

    ReplyDelete