i feel better having them even though i'm pretty broke.
heres a story.. i was waiting for a bus in Cope to come out to the beach for the 4th.. and a drunk guy charging full speed on his horse ran head on into a bus. it was parked, but man.. the horse freaked out right before it hit and threw the guy off. immediately a swarm of people came over to look at the guy on the ground and not one person calls the police. they all just go "hes drunk itll be fine" so I called them up. That guy did not look fine.. I can't imagine anyone surviving hitting a bus headfirst. I didn't have it in me to take a picture of the guy like everyone else, but I took the bus afterwards.
I've got a busy month or so coming up.. a good mix of work and slacking. I'm going to a organic fertilizer seminar in a friend's site with ANAM for a few days and heading straight from there to pick up my parents. Once theyre gone, I need to plan the construction of at least 8 more stoves. 5 for families in town, and 1 or 2 for the schools in La Trinidad and Calabazo (neighboring towns).
As for the families in town, I had to narrow it down a LOT because well.. everyone wants one. I did a survey at the school to see which families are already using a gas stove every day and which cook on rocks or some other type of fogon. Looks like only 5 houses do not have a gas stove, so those are the ones that will get one. Its nice having Nikki nearby because shes doing the same project in Ojo de Agua, so we're going to do most of it together. Everyone here talks about who is a "super volunteer" and who isnt. Well.. I'm cool with being half of one ;). It'll be nice to leave here knowing the entire corregimiento of Las Lomas (the group of communities LB is in) will get something out of Peace Corps being there.
Then Maria and Ron come out. Our plans are pretty small compared to my parents trip but its cool, we're all broke. They'll be in LB for a few days then we're going out to Boquete to hike up Voclan Baru. Hopefully the weather will be alright, b/c we're camping at the top so we can see both the Pacific and Caribbean coast in the morning. A lot of people start hiking around 11 pm and get up there for sunrise and head down.. but we're going to take it a little easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment