Tuesday, June 15, 2010

1 year in.. first bad experience

While I was out walking with.. almost the entire town in a candlelight procession.. someone broken into the house and took my laptop. It blows, but once word got around that the gringo had something expensive.. it made my house the target. Ive talked to police and a detective is coming out later today to check it out. Luckily I had gotten property insurance.. tip for any new volunteers.. GET THE PROPERTY INSURANCE.

Ive felt safe every single day Ive been there, but even if you know and trust 95% of the people, theres always that 5%. This past weekend was the festival for San Antonio, so lots of relatives and ppl from neighboring towns were around as well (most ppl in town seem to think it for sure was someone local). Other houses were robbed as well, a few gas tanks. I really didnt want to put bars on the windows, but it looks like Ill have to now. The 95% that I do trust have been awesome.. everyones really supportive and are trying to help as much as they can.

The funny thing is, whoever took it.. didnt take the charger which was sitting right next to it, or the ipod.. or my wallet sitting on the table. Im assuming they were in a rush because they had a pissed off cat and a crazy dog. Anzuelos not a fighter though.. he was probably just trying to play with the guy. Luckily I had left my camera (and a pair of boxers) in Penonome earlier that day, or else it would have been in the same bag as the computer.

The next day Stephanie came out to Cope to give me the camera and boxers and I spur of the moment went with her and another volunteer to the waterfalls in Barrigon. It was really convenient I left those boxers b/c I had something dry to change into :p.

It all works out.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I'm sorry to hear that. It really hurts when that trust is broken. I hope that you don't have too much trouble replacing it or even better I hope they find the guys. Keep your head up.

    ReplyDelete