Monday, August 24, 2009

"11.. damn its late"

were the exact words that went through my head when I saw the time. Kinda made me laugh. Was in bed by 9.. which is the usual time but I couldn’t sleep and finished reading Ghost Soldiers. I decided after Path btwn the Seas I’m gonna stop reading so much and maybe focus more on Spanish.

Since my last post I haven’t done too much out of the ordinary. I went by the vivero that I’d like to work at and it looks like I’ll be working there once a week.. pretty stoked that Im actually getting a weekly schedule going.
T: hopefully work with the teachers to teach their own English classes
W: teach environmental ed
Th: vivero.. reforestation
Sat/sun: teach English to older kids/adults

Not sure when that’s all gonna start but at least the environmental ed and vivero work by next week. Besides that I’ve just been pasearing, mostly with the host family. I’ve been eating delicious food, which is also nothing new. I don’t think theres been one meal I haven’t liked.. chicken neck wasn’t my favorite though. Its always funny to get dinner in the dark b/c it just ends up being mystery meat. Found out one time I was eating the organs. Eating the heart reminds me of something out of Indiana jones. Hmm.. I had duck which was a changeup and tiny fish they called titi which were shaped like extra long rice with eye balls. Apparently I’m gonna get both iguana and conejo pintado sometime, which goes against the environmental principles I’m supposed to live by, but don’t judge me.. I want to try it.

Whenever I post this, I’ll be in the city for my dentist appointment. Btw a panameño named Alonso Edward got silver in the 200m in berlin WAY behind Bolt.. but 2nd, 3rd and 4th was pretty close. Either way it was a huge deal. Then salidino sucked it up in the long jump and EU got gold. The only baseball games I watch are Yankees games but at least its something.

---
In the office waiting a bit to go to my appointment and started to think.. the only two things I hate about being in this country:
1. when the water cuts off midshower and I’m covered in soap
2. latrine splashback
running into crappy customer service is no fun either. I bought an mp3 player from this electronics store that turned out to be crap/not work and the receipt said I have 30 days to return. Long story short the jefa was a huge ***** and wouldn’t let me return it til I owned her in a 20 minute all Spanish argument. At one point she said “hey, This is not the united states!” Whats that even mean? That they’re not supposed to follow their own rules cuz its panama? probably just laziness. Guess its not just here though, people can suck in the states too. Either way, I got my money and my new cheap mp3 works.

--
Chillin at the hostel.. turns out i didn't have a cavity, so it ended up just being a good excuse to go to the city haha. It was a chunk of old cement from my braces.. 10 years ago? that had chipped off and looked like a hole. Sounds good to me.
Had a little party here for a group of runners called the Hashers, apparently they have em all around the world. They run here in the city once a week. We had cow tongue for dinner, that was another first.

2 comments: