If I didn't say so before, I had a lot of grant money sitting around for stove building and no way to get to the bricks in Herrera. Cosecha Sostenible's car had broken down so I was looking for other options.
At first I tried writing letters and talking to the local politician. Her office, well, never got back to me so I talked to her in person at an event in town and got an enthusiastic "que bien, te ayudaré!" That expectedly went no where.
I was wary of asking ANAM because in the past the Cosecha tecnicos did not seem happy when projects set up with them and their model switched over to ANAM all of a sudden, but eventually I asked them and they got me transportation.
I got all the materials and realized Cosecha was way too busy to help me get the 7 stoves done. A man in town who had helped before originally said he could work with me on them but turned out to be too busy. I was thinking I'd have to leave everything for them to build themselves after I had gone (I know how they are to be built, but I'm not any expert with cement haha. Luckily it turned out another man had helped at the school last year and said he could do them.
We've done 4 this week, leaving us with 3 more for next week. Got a car to drag the materials for two allll the way up the loma bonita to as close to those houses as possible.
This whole week has been vacation from school since the term just ended, but no vacation for the peace corps right?? ;)
Turns out I've got quite a bit of funds leftover, so I'm gonna set up another trip to Herrera, buy more bricks and order the grills and leave them here for a few families to build themselves.
Its been a busy last month, w/ that work, trying to fit teaching in, getting close of service office stuff taken care of, selling junk from my house, taking care of the animals.
I took ketchup to a family in Arraijan where she seems to be doin well. Anzuelo I'm sending home with Maria who is coming down right after COS for a few days. Then Greg is coming out. We'll spend about a week in Panama and another 3 weeks busing around Central America. More on that later.
I'll get back in early August, then I'm heading to DC for an RPCV (R for returned) career fair and the plan is to soon after move in with a PC buddy Shiv.
Things are definitely moving quickly compared to the last slow-paced 2 years of my life.
Mensaje enviado desde mi BlackBerry® de +Móvil!
No comments:
Post a Comment