Saturday, March 26, 2011

What I'll miss

Leaving a school fundraiser.. bingo and a movie.. walking home in total darkness.. looking at the stars, the milky way, and seeing 3 shooting stars got me feeling a little nostalgic and I haven't even left yet. Everything I'm going to miss about my life out here started popping up in my head. Here's what I've come up with, I'm sure more will be added in the next 3 months. Crazy huh? My countdown says 97 days until July 1. It was so exciting seeing it tick down from 800 to 300 to 200 and then 100, but now I want it to slow down a bit.

As a heads up, this list describes about 25% of my life. I don't know if I'll ever be able to describe it all.

The people - So generous and willing to share their lives and culture. They are just as interested in learning about me and my life back home. When I need help, people are there for me. Yolana, my neighbor watches my dog anytime I leave. One day I planned a bingo/movie night at the school to get funds for the stoves, but the teacher never showed up and he had the keys so essentially I was screwed. I mentioned it to Victor, and he set up his house to do it there.. lifesaver.
I was supposed to take someone to a 3-day seminar but she blew me off literally last second.. as I walked home with my bag a little dejected, Fernando (17 years old) out of no where offered to come. I asked Victor to make me a Mejorana (National instrument of Panama.. 5 strings) and the price would have been $50 but he said "you know what? its a gift from my family."
Nando inviting me to help kill the pig for New Years. Martina showing me the chick finding its way out of the egg. Martina in general, that woman is.. indescribable. Super high pitched voice, always in good spirits, singing, calling at her chicks and turkeys to come eat. I'll have to post the video I have of that.
It's going to be sad having very little communication with everyone, or none.. since there is no cell phone service and no one has e-mail.

Pasearing - When sitting around at home me da pereza, the number one thing to do is just get up and visit people.. whether it be the close neighbors or hiking up the hill an hour. It's nice not to have to ring a doorbell to say hey to anyone.. just walk near their house and yell "BUENAS" and if its lunchtime, get a meal out of it.. and if its not, a coffee or two.

Saying "Hi" - Anyone that walks by, people say hi/good day. When people get on a bus or restaurant full of people they don't know they say "buenos dias" and get a response. I should go back home and test out how many people respond. I'm assuming not many.

The food - I have learned how to make some panamanian food, but it'll never be the same. Hojaldres (fried dough) is something I'm gonna work on to make sure I at least take that back. My grandma's always told me that being willing to eat anything is a good trait.. It's fun being served something in the darkness and having to guess what I'm eating. Usually when we play that game its the organs.

Fresh meat - As in chickens just killed (pollo de patio) or beef/pork slaughtered just few hours earlier.

Hammocks - The front patio culture.. just laying on the hammock saying whatsup to everyone that goes by. I don't think I've ever taken a nap in my bed, always la hamaca. Definitely bringing one, or two home.

The kids - I walk around down and get yelled at from all directions "DAVID!" "TEACHER!" "WAGNER (butchered)". My best friends in town range from age 7 to 18, more heavily on the younger side. It'll be strange to see how they've changed in a few years. I plan to come back in 2013 for the 50 year PC Panama anniversary.

Being 'teacher' - My first teaching experience.. started a little rough and awkward but by now it feels natural. Granted I don't see myself getting into teaching, but doing it in spanish would make teaching in english a little easier. The kids get sooo excited for English or Ambiente, whether they actually want to learn or just play games, we have fun. I've seen a good amount really improve their English, especially at the jr. high level.

The background noise to life - It's not engines or honks or a TV, but bugs, birds, dogs barking, roosters quiquiqariing (or something) pollitos goin 'pio pio'. I was talking to someone about it and they say "uno se acostumbra".. you get used to it and it's true. I'll definitely miss all that animal noise, no matter what time of the day or night.. Every year, the month before Easter, the Cicadas come out in full force and they SCREAM in the trees. It's pretty indescribable.

The stars - I'm so used to seeing the stars (on any non-rainy night), it'll be a little depressing to go home and not see them, or not nearly as many. With a nifty guide book and binoculars, I've gotten to know so many constellations, stars nebulas laying on my roof at night.

My dog - Ok Anzuelo is going with me, but I mean that I'll miss him as is.. a panamanian campo dog. He gets to run around at free will, no leash and bark and poop anywhere which I don't have to pick up. It'll be a change for both of us.

The cat - Ketchup! she's staying, but will have a good home.. either at John's, the volunteer in Copé or maybe my old training family from Nuevo Emperador.

Reading - I know this one is up to me and I still will read, but guaranteed not nearly as much as I do now.

No electricity/hot water - It is really nice to only have those things on rare occasion and actually feel grateful for them when I get it. I just got tagged in a facebook picture that says for everyone to turn off the lights at the same time.. haha that'll be easy.

Soccer - haha I've become a soccer fan and going back home means soccer mainly disappears. It's everywhere here. The other day I went to teach, but they were doing elections so I ended up hanging out and playing with each of their PE classes. My legs still hurt

Speaking spanish - Expressing myself in Spanish has become relatively natural and i'm not looking forward to not using it on a daily basis.

Music - I am taking gigas and gigas of music home with me.. tipico reggae reggaeton bachata vallenato salsa.

Bailes- I got good at dancing tipico. Where am I gonna dance back home?? Here, ppl find any and every reason to dance. The baptism party was one of my favorites.

Seco - Ok I won't miss seco all too much. There's enough cheap liquor in the states.

The beer - Panama/Balboa.. can also wait until my visit back

Burning the viejo on New Years - and playing with fireworks

Volunteer friends - Made some good friends out here.. thats what facebook is for I suppose

Nature - Animals, trees, rivers creeks waterfalls. Someone find me any of those in San Diego.. Fortunately I won't miss the beach ;) because that, we do have.

The rain at night - Love waking up to pounding rain on the metal roof. Rain at night gets a little dull at times, especially when its 2 weeks straight.

Ok now that I can't think of anything else right now.. here are a few things I am looking forward to.

- Maria (#1, score any points?)
- Family, friends
- Toilets
- a washing machine
- cheese.. refrigeration
- a cold beer whenever I want
- making a little more money than 370 a month (hopefully)
- driving/wearing a seatbelt
- *being able to follow sports

Notice the difference in list sizes?

Here's some news. My brother Greg is coming down a few days after COS. I'll give him a quick tour of LB and Panama City, then we're heading up by bus and flying out of Mexico City on August 6. We'll be a little rushed in a month, but really looking forward to it. Gonna try out my Panamanian spanish on other countries to see how it flies.

I was in the city last night for some basketball (*) and dinner with a few friends and Becca's family. Thanks again.

Heading back home in a few to do a little painting at the school and then bingo.

2 comments:

  1. You've done good work here Dave. I'm proud of you. Keep it up in the states!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Save this post especially. Later in life you'll look back and be glad you wrote all these memories down. I'm so proud of all you've done the past 2 years and I know you have so much ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete