Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Site visit

The first 3 pictures arent actually from site visit.. the first swimming hole is from tech week in barrigon (thats where I "showered" and that rock in the bottom left was my shaving rock).  2nd picture is the captain planet environmental fair a group of CECers travel around and do at other sites. The 3rd pic is the granja in Barrigon with the rice pit in front.  

Then we have me at a restaurant at Playa Palmar, then my host family with my community guide in Loma Bonita.. housing for the conejo pintado's.. theres 14 in the project which is awesome. He only sells them to other families who want to start their own project, not to eat. Few pix of the waterfall in my community, a conejo pintado, an iguana project at the granja, a picture of 3 1-week old cats.. the 2 black ones may become my mascotas (grey one "ran" away but im guessing something made it comida).  The 2 pix of the mountains are both views from the granja.  One has a little building right in the center which is the escuela in town, and the other is just a few.  In both of them, the majority of town is to my left.

The week went pretty well, I feel comfortable there.  I got sick (up to close to 104 degree temp) for the first few days which blew, my iPod stopped working which blows.  My host family there was way accommodating, helping me out, getting whatever i needed.  When I was feeling up to it, I hiked up and down some hills, meeting families, talking.  One woman even gave me a sombrero as a gift for fathers day lol.

I met my host families for the first 3 months.. we can chose to switch every month through 3 families or stay with one or just 2 if we feel like it, so we'll see.  I'll probably change around.  I didn't meet Brianna, the current volunteer there but I saw where she lives..  I could live there too if I decide to.  Its pretty far away from the majority of town (although it has a SWEET view, where you can actually see the pacific.. ill get some pix of that soon) so I probably won't live there.  I want to live a bit closer to the chunk of people.

I met the maestros at the school, including the director who is going to be a big help in all of the work I do.  Also went to a group meeting, which runs the granja, conejo project, iguanas, and their eco-tourism projects.  They are building a visitors center and are going to work on the trails leading to their waterfall.  Pretty much for my first 3 months, I'm going to be integrating, working on my project for peace corps (community analysis) and helping them do whatever projects they already have going.  After the first few months and after I present the analysis, I'll start trying to work in the schools more with english and environmental ed as well as other projects ill take on.

I'm getting more and more excited as everything is finally starting to come together.  Graduation is today woo so we'll all be official volunteers in a few hours.













No comments:

Post a Comment